Date: November 1, 2013
Temporary Chinese title: 《大藥坊》
Pinyin title: Daai Yeuk Fong
Temporary English title: "Big Apothecary"
Producer: Tsui Ching Hong
Attending Cast: Linda Chung, Ruco Chan, Raymond Wong, Natalie Tong, Ngo Ka Nin, Shirley Yeung, Samantha Ko, Sammy Sum, Jazz Lam, To Yin Gor, Ching Ho Wai, Bak Yan, Poon Chi Man, Wai Ka Hung, Lee Ka Sing, Man Yeung, Brian Tse, Owen Cheung, Kong Wing Fai, Lee Hoi Sang, Chan Wing Chung, and Yu Chi Ming.
Place: Tseung Kwan O TVB City Studio One
- 30 episodes long.
- The entire story is connected by a focus on a family of medicine. It takes place at the end of the Qing Dynasty and early Republic. Under the decorated flourishing age, it was a society where devastation was seen everywhere. This series will use the medicine industry to talk about the life circumstances of all classes of society at that time, getting involved in the military, the politics, and the business.
- There will be a love square among Linda Chung, Ruco Chan, Raymond Wong, and Natalie Tong.
- Linda will play To Kai Kei (杜佳期), a big apothecary's rich girl. She is kindhearted and has perseverance and the spirit of not giving up. She is innately bright; however, because of the restrictions of tradition, she could not follow in her father's steps. One time, an epidemic appeared in the entire city, and her fiancé, Chong Kai Cho (played by Raymond), also became infected. The medicine that Linda's father prescribed was contaminated, indirectly causing Chong Kai Cho to die from poison before marriage. Because of this, the Chong family liquidated the To Family, and Linda's father went to prison. Everyone in the To family even became selfish. Internally and externally troubled, Linda not only has to take care of her imprisoned father, but she even uses her perseverance, determination, and courage, deciding to find out the truth to clear her family name. She works hard to become a famous doctor. She likes her fiancé; however, before she marries him, he gets ill and then passes away. Afterward, Raymond's younger brother returns; because his younger brother resembles him, she develops feelings for him. She will get caught in between Ruco and Raymond.
- Ruco will play Ting Yat Yuen (丁一元), a businessman who resells at a profit. When the To family was put into liquidation, he burned down all of the To family's medicinal herbs and machinery. Because of Linda's pleading, the two reach an agreement: if Linda is able to cure his unmentionable illness, he would not destroy her family business. After this, he helps Linda on the sidelines, gradually developing feelings for her. He is both good and evil. He begins to have feelings for Linda at the end of the series.
- Raymond will play twin brothers. Elder brother Chong Kai Cho (莊繼祖) is a deputy mayor who dies early. Younger brother Chong Kai Chung (莊繼宗), who returns from studying in Japan, believes that Linda and her father would not cause his elder brother's death; he protects Linda and tries to get vindication for her, later falling in love with her.
- Natalie will play Hui Kwan Yeuk (許君約), a girl from a wealthy family. She falls in love with her elder cousins, Chong Kai Cho and Chong Kai Chung, one after the other, but does not obtain their love. She has always believed that Linda caused Chong Kai Cho's death. Her love story with Raymond begins in 1911.
- Shirley Yeung will play Fung Yuk Kam (馮玉琴), Linda's stepmother and To Yin Gor's second wife. She will have an affair with brother-in-law Ngo Ka Nin.
- Samantha Ko will play Pan Pan (翩翩), a former dancing girl. She was rescued by Ruco, so she liked him. She will go in between Linda and Ruco, indirectly influencing the development of their relationship.
- Sammy Sum will play Ngai Chun (魏俊), a major villain.
- To Yin Gor will play the head of an apothecary. During a rampant epidemic, he created a medicine; however, the medicine not only became contaminated, but it also caused the death of his ill future son-in-law. Afterward, he goes to prison.
Blessing Ceremony @ TVBE Clip (112113)
Visit @ TVBE Clip (022114)
Visit @ TVB8 Clip (022614)
Visit @ "Scoop" Clip (031914)
FYI: The official English title of this series is "All That Is Bitter Is Sweet".
Related post: "Big Apothecary" @ TVB Sales Presentation 2014
Related post: "Big Apothecary" Filming Sales Presentation
Personal Note: Don't think that Tsui Ching Hong has done this genre before.
Glad to see Poon Chi Man back!
Ha ha.... Ruco's name is 'One Dollar'! :P
*Credits to 鍾嘉欣吧, the-sun, appledaily, and hellochinpang