Monday, December 7, 2009

Kenneth Ma @ 《3 Weekly》 Issue 530

SpongeBob SquarePants - Kenneth Ma

maming01

Kenneth Ma Entered the Business for Ten Years

The first time I interviewed him was in 2006, and he was starting to rise. During the interview, I would ask him one question, and he would respond with one answer. Although he was genuine, it was evident that he was young. The second interview came in 2008. I would ask him one question, and he would respond with two answers. He would talk about his happiness and bitterness in entering the business, and he would respond to his rumours. Even though his answers were not expressive, he had learned how to coordinate. The Kenneth Ma in 2009 will answer to all questions asked. As for the questions not asked, he would take the initiative and reveal information on his own. He knows how to grasp my curiosity and satisfy it completely. For ten years, Kenneth Ma has been soaking in the entertainment business. The longer he soaks, the better his acting and the more mature he is.

"You think so, too? Yes, I too think that I have changed quite a bit". For ten years, the characters that Kenneth played have encountered many experiences and matters. He is like the boy next door whom I have watched grow up. He is now a man who can take sole responsibility for an important task. [Although he is now a man,] he still strives for change. After working with Damian Lau and Gallen Lo, he sees himself as a sponge and must absorb unceasingly.

I teased him as being a 'spud' three years ago. Kenneth laughingly said, "Actually I am still a 'spud'; it's just that I have become a 'chip'. There are different flavours for you to choose". Compared to a fragile chip, I hope even more so that he becomes SpongeBob SquarePants and continue to absorb and grow.

As this year's anniversary productions, palace series "Beyond the Realm of Conscience" came out on top of "Born Rich" as expected. Although "Born" has Gallen Lo's return as a villain, and also the old partnership of Ray Lui and Jaime Chik, the feedback and ratings have merely been mediocre. From a first-line actor to a second-line actor, Kenneth's character Sa Bo Loi only has minimal screen time; however, this character most resembles the real Kenneth Ma--simple and a bit mischievous.

"Actually, when I first received the script, I already knew that the character Sa Bo Jai would be very difficult to portray because there's not much development for him. The character is mainly there to support his brother, Gallen. Think about it. If I'm in the same scene as Gallen, how can I steal the spotlight from him? I am just there to be by his side to serve as a contrast to his transition into a villain. Also, the storyline revolves around Nancy Sit's family; their scenes are quite heavy, whereas my character only has more screen time and more lighthearted scenes in the beginning of the series when Gallen and I were swindlers in Sabah".

Flattered and Surprised

maming02

Indeed, when Kenneth found out that he had an opportunity to work with Gallen, the level of his happiness could not be described in words. Even though he would be the second lead, he did not mind. When looking up information [for this interview], [I] discovered that, in 2007, when the two had not worked with one another, Gallen had already expressed in an interview that he thinks highly of Kenneth, because Kenneth resembles himself before he became famous.

"He often says that I resemble him a lot--we are both silly. When filming for 'Born' just started, we already had a very good relationship. He often said that he wanted to help me to open up, so every time we finished filming, we would go out for drinks. He would take the initiative of critiquing my performance that day, and tell me what to improve on. For example, when we were doing promotional events in Malaysia, I would go out with him and Joe Ma for drinks after we finished our work. They taught me many things. Gallen often says that my comedic skills are not enough, such that my comedic timing and rhythm are lacking. Thus, many times during filming, Gallen would suggest for me to try a different method of portrayal because it might be better".

"For example, when the storyline talks about us deciding to go to Hong Kong, there was a scene where the two of us celebrate by opening cans of beer. We filmed this scene a few times, but because my timing was off, we had to re-film. It was not until I unintentionally threw the beer can up in the air, it almost landing on my head, that the shot had a nice feel to it. In the end, that scene was used. Gallen said that he wanted this effect because it was suitable for my character. Even though it happened out of luck, it was a valuable learning experience".

In the series, he and Gallen play brothers. In reality, their relationship is like that of real brothers, so Gallen insisted on Kenneth being his best man for his upcoming wedding. "When he called me, saying that he was getting married, I thought that he simply wanted me to be a groomsman, but later, he said that he wanted me to be best man. I was flattered and surprised, but he said that I did not have to prepare anything. I just had to go to Beijing, and he would prepare everything for me".

Getting Profit

In the industry for ten years, from passerby ABC to a Dong Ka Siu Sang, Kenneth's road is envied by many newcomers. To be able to work with many veterans, he has gained a lot. Gallen is a good example. Earlier, he worked with Damian in "In the Chamber of Bliss", where he was able to witness the air of a real first-line actor.

"Every time Damian and I arrive on set, we would first go over the script, and then he would walk around the set, looking to see if there is anything, such as a pair of chopsticks or a bowl, that may help with his performance. This is what I really need to learn. Acting does not only depend on dialogue and expressions. Even a cup can be of big help to a performance".

maming03

With Kenneth's position as a Dong Ka Siu Sang, he can be like Damian and have whatever he wants. Kenneth said that he would like to try if given the chance, and he would not be afraid to be called a troublesome person. "Once everybody sees that it would help the entire situation, I believe that no one should complain about me!"

"After working with Damian and Gallen, I think that I resemble a sponge. There are many things that I need to newly absorb and comprehend. It is what an actor should do". The already filmed "Iron Horse Seeking Bridge" is Kenneth's first series of 'getting profit' after all of the absorption. Hopefully, the audience will see a new Kenneth Ma.

Striving for Approval

Although having been nominated previously for 'Best Actor' at TVB's Award Presentation, this year, Kenneth does not have fate in competing for the award for 'TV King', as he has only been nominated in 'Favourite TV Male Character'. It has been three years since he won 'Most Improved Male Artiste' in 2006. He does want to win awards, but he understands the saying "haste makes waste", so he is not anxious to win. Even though Kenneth's results for this year are very average compared to previous years, Kenneth feels that he took an important course for him to equip himself.

"Previously in 'Man in Charge', 'Survivor's Law II', etc., it was considered to be a first lead role, but I did not have any pressure, as I just did my job and did what was required for me to do. But later, I took on 'Bliss' and 'Born', and when I looked at the cast list, my first reaction was, 'Wow! Now these guys are what you call a first leading male!' Although many people thought that I dropped down to second line, I was not offended, and I did not mind that I was not nominated for 'TV King'. If I am nominated or win 'TV King' in the situation that I'm not supposed to, then I would rather wait patiently. I will wait until everybody approves of my acting, and it is then that I would go and compete for the award. The key is not whether you are 'TV King' or not, but having everybody's approval is the most important of all".

Not an Obedient Guy

For ten years, Kenneth's image is healthy in comparison to the other 'Olympic Five Stars' Bosco Wong, Raymond Lam, etc. He is one absolute obedient guy. For many years, he has had only four rumoured girlfriends. Putting Sharon Chan and Kate Tsui aside (as rumours spread only because of the airing of their series), only the rumours with Margie Tsang and Nancy Wu are more believable. Because he does not have many rumours, his publicity level is not as high. Even Kenneth admits that he is not newsworthy, but this is actually not something he did intentionally.

"Actually, I did not intentionally come out with this image. Maybe it is because I have a rather boring personality, and it is not exciting in comparison to the other siu sangs. I actually know that my publicity level is low, but I do not want to go and do something to increase my publicity level. I occasionally do go out at night, but it's just that the paparazzi has not photographed me before".

Kenneth's outer appearance is simple-minded, and he has always believed that a successful actor should not have an image. This will allow him to play any role and mimic any role. In order to broaden his road of acting, he had already informed the company about playing a villain a long time ago, but it's just that the suitable script has not come along yet.

"Actually, I had already informed the company a long time ago that I hope to be able to play a villain. It is not that playing a villain would be easier to stand out, but an actor needs different types of roles to portray, and they cannot let their outer appearance [image] limit them. This will allow them to play any role and mimic any role".

Back then, Gallen was also a young simple-minded fellow, and he was recognized because of his villain role in "Cold Blood Warm Heart". After that, he became a first-line actor. As for Kenneth, Gallen thinks highly of him, and Kenneth does have the qualifications to go in that direction.

Was Once Moved

I remember the first time interviewing Kenneth, and during that time, he was not a spokesperson for a skin care company. His facial skin had not changed for the better yet. It was later that he signed with Men's Skin Centres by Bella as a spokesperson. After three years of treatment, his skin is obviously better. "My skin has changed for the better, and I still go for treatments ever so often". After becoming more handsome, his rumours followed naturally. Out of Kenneth's four rumoured girlfriends, the most recent 'Kenneth and Nancy rumour' is the most intriguing. In the papers, Kenneth and Nancy were photographed in the same car together, and the reports say that Nancy originally lived in Tuen Mun but moved to Tai Koo Shing to become neighbours with Kenneth. As for this rumour, which at times seem real and at times seem false, Kenneth admits having feelings for Nancy at one moment.

"First of all, the place she lives in Tai Koo Shing belongs to her relatives, and Tai Koo Shing is more convenient than Tuen Mun. However, her move absolutely has nothing to do with me other than the fact that she and I do live very close to each other, but we do not enter from the same parking lot. I can say at this moment that she and I are good friends because we have known each other since 'Triumph in the Skies'. I did have feelings for her, although her outer appearance is not my ideal partner because I like girls with long hair and a diamond face shape...similar to Jacqueline Wu types. But when it comes to personality, Nancy's personality attracts me because I have always been afraid of girls who are troublesome. Thus, her tomboy personality attracts me the most. Actually, we have not been in contact much lately. It was because of 'Strictly Come Dancing II' that we saw each other more. Plus, we live so close to each other, so we would meet out for lunch or supper when we are free".

If Kenneth is indeed attracted to Nancy, then how come he wouldn't pursue her? He is already 35 years old, so dating will not affect his career. Kenneth thought for a while, and then he said his innermost thoughts: "Actually, I have thought about trying to see if we are compatible or not. It's just that we didn't even start. I think we should be able to get along very well together. I am already 35 years old, and I really do want to date; however, making money is more important right now. Plus, after entering the industry, I have always hoped to date a person from outside of the entertainment business. It should be less troublesome this way. But then, I would fear that that person may not adapt to my work or lifestyle. Thus, when it comes to dating, it is best to let it be". Other than absorbing acting skills, Kenneth has learned how to deal with relationship issues rationally in the past ten years.

Still Old and Simple

There was once an interview of Kenneth where his cell phone was used as a metaphor to describe him as being simple. The cell phone he uses now is a Mainland brand cell phone with the functions of listening to music, watching clips, and watching TV shows, which is only worth $600HKD.

"This cell phone is very easy to use. I can listen to music, watch clips, and watch TV shows on it, and it is only worth $600HKD. It was Kara Hui who recommended it to me to buy it". He may be the only Dong Ka Siu Sang in the industry to use a Mainland brand cell phone.

He upgraded his cell phone, and even Kenneth, who never planned on becoming a car owner, has recently purchased a car. Although it is a fully equipped SUV, it is still in its original condition without any remodelling done to it. The interior is very simple without any accessories.

"To me, a car is only used for driving purposes. It just needs to be simple, and it doesn't need to be accessorized".

maming04

Change is necessary, but for some things, it is good not to change, just like Kenneth's standards for material things have always been simple. This point is best to not change.

maming05
Although his relationship with Nancy Wu, which at times seem real and at times seem false, has not had a good ending, at least it has brought them opportunities to make fast money.

maming06
Kenneth grew up in a rather well-off family of above middle class, which has brought him a happy childhood.

maming07
Kenneth is the only boy in his family, so he is loved by all.

maming08
In 2006, Kenneth won 'Most Improved Male Artiste'. For his acting career, it was a breakthrough, which led to him becoming Dong Ka Siu Sang status.

maming09
In the eyes of others, "Born Rich" is the work of Kenneth dropping back down to a second-line actor, but to him, it is an opportunity to learn.

maming10
The playboy detective in the new series "The Mysteries of Love", is one of Kenneth's most favourite works because the role is the most realistic, and most importantly, he has many intimate scenes with Bernice Liu.

Personal Note: OMG! This has to be the longest article I've ever translated! It is even longer than Moses' "Shall We Talk" article. :)

The interviewer just loves Ma Ming's simplicity! :D Love him for being simple and practical! ;P

For thee part about him not remodelling his car, I was going to translate it as, "He does not 'pimp' his ride". Ha ha.... :D

*Credits to 3weekly and 馬國明國際影迷會

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Kenneth looks great in the pictures! I just love his personality and it's great to see how this interviews reveals it all :) Yup, agreed. Simple + Practical = Kenneth Ma. It's good to hear that he doesn't mind being 2nd line actor, but rather uses it as a learning experience. Kenneth still has a lot of room to work his way to be 1st line actor all the time. Keep trying your best, Kenneth! I can't wait to see his performance in "Mysteries of Love" in his playboy role :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for translating the article!!! Ma Ming is soooo simple yet soooo cute!!! he is officially one of my favourite actors now!!! I can't wait to see he's roles in both Mysteries of Love and Iron Horse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha when u say Mysteries of Love is "closest to reality" that doesn't mean kenneth in reality does it, it just means its the most realist rite? hahaa...it better NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To turtle88:

    He does look great in those pictures!! :D

    Any fa dan and siu sang will have to settle for being second line or third line actor/actress if they are cast in a big production series. It is great to see fa dans and siu sangs filming in grand productions because they can work with different veterans and learn from them. :)

    To sandalls:

    That great that Ma Ming is one of your favourites now. How did he win you over? He he.... ;P

    To bbfreak:

    No, not closest to Ma Ming in real life. He said, "closest to reality" because "Iron Horse" is a pre-modern series and "Born Rich" doesn't happen in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think getting to know Ma Ming through this blog made me support him more... I was always neutral towards him and just viewed him as a good guy, but now I just think that he's awesome!!
    I love seeing his improvements and I am sure that he will succeed in the art of acting with such a positive and serious attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To sandalls:

    It's great to know that one of the reasons why you are lovin' Ma Ming is because of my blog. He he.... :D

    ReplyDelete