Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Bobby Au Yeung: 'Green Leaves Can Also Become a First Tier!', Credited the Most for 'Kwan Jeh' Becoming Popular

CREDIT IF REPOSTED

Sky Post Clip

'Kwan Jeh' Is Absolutely Not a Small Actor

A first-line TV leading actor takes the initiative to volunteer himself to cameo for a guest actor's screentime in a sitcom; Bobby Au Yeung is like a superhero among the people, fulfulling the dream of some small actors. Bobby said in Sky Post's interview, "I don't think that I am some kind of superhero. I did not save her. Very happy, and there are also a lot of people who feel that it is a rare opportunity for me to return to film two episodes of 'Lo and Behold'. The main reason is that I like to have fun. 'Lo' has a lot of plots that talk about her admiring me, always acting with my cardboard cutout, and putting my head on a foreign military officer. I really think that 'Kwan Jeh' performed really well...just right. As a cleaning lady, really has good taste. Extremely good! Some people think that I have been acting for so many years and have mostly collaborated with pretty girls...did not expect that I would take the initiative to request to act with 'Kwan Jeh'. Many people would be surprised. Everyone thinks that it is so thoughtful of me; actually, it was simply at my convenience". Bobby laughingly said that, when 'Kwan Jeh' is working, it often feels like a dream. When asked why he took the time and effort to make a cameo appearance, Bobby said, "'Kwan Jeh' is absolutely not a small actor. She has been in the industry for 30-plus years. There was a scene about me gifting her a 6 carat pink diamond ring. I asked how [they] were able to have the prop arranged. It turns out that it was actually 'Kwan Jeh''s private collection; she is actually a rich woman. Could see how much heart she has, and how much she likes to act, as she is willing to eat some humble pie by playing a cleaning lady".

The Bitterness and Joy of Filming

Bobby's guest episodes 606 and 607 will be aired in late June, and are filmed for six separate days. On the first day of the visit to the set, he appeared as Zhu Zhishan's look in "The Legendary Four Aces", while 'Kwan Jeh' was in ancient costume acting as a courtesan. The two are playing a couple, and even predicted beforehand that the viewers would definitely be laughing non-stop. Regarding the collaboration from filming the past few days, Bobby laughingly said that his acting skills have gone up a level. He said, "It was very hard to hold in my laughter. The storyline was about me greatly admiring her, and she also admires me. 'Kwan Jeh' said that she learned a lot. I said to her: 'In the plot, you usually go into the office, say a couple things, and then leave. Now, the entire scene is on you!' Thus, she was very nervous at first and was sweating profusely; her bangs in front of her forehead were never dry".

'Green Leaves Also Have an Opportunity to Become a First Tier'

The filming process was hot and labourious. It was neither for fame nor gain, and it was only two episodes. The pay is also out of the question, but Bobby enjoyed it. Was it because of love or responsibility? Bobby laughingly said, "It's being poor! Actually, I did it for the matter itself and for 'Kwan Jeh'. Really want to encourage her, and hope to push her career to new heights, although it may just be a temporary peak...ha ha ha! Frankly speaking, in this circle, actors who are working silently have decades of filming experience. Even if everyone recognizes their position, their importance is generally perceived as not that much. This collaboration with 'Kwan Jeh' is a good reason for making an appearance. Truthfully, if the scriptwriting team did not keep writing me into the script, there would be no good reason for my random appearance! People would definitely say that I was trying to profit from [their] success, thinking that I just returned due to the good ratings of 'Lo'. I really hope to give everyone some encouragement. Green leaves actually have an opportunity to become a first tier!"

Bobby is from the Acting Class. He had endured ten years before having an opportunity to perform as the character 'Yu Choi Chun' in "The File of Justice"; he also officially embarked on the road to being a leading actor. He has done walk-in parts and passerby roles. Bobby thinks that opportunities are extremely important to every actor. He said, "Apart from achievements, every line of work hopes to have a sense of presence. It is impossible for first-line actors to be completely surrounded by first-line actors. If there are no third-, fourth-, and fifth-line actors as a foil, it is impossible for an entire series to come into fruition. However, third and fourth-line actors always do not have much of a presence, giving people the impression that there is not much worth. However, in all these years, I think that seniors are seniors...not distinguished by green leaves or not. Without the support of this group of seniors, would have been dead a long time ago! TVB's biggest asset in the past is this group of seniors. It is very difficult to push one person to become a first-line actor; however, if they do not have a group of fathers, mothers, grandfathers, antagonists, et al., essentially would not be accomplished. It is not difficult to find a first-line actor; it is actually difficult to find a group of supporting roles with true ability. Thus, do not say that I am so generous to have acted with 'Kwan Jeh'. However, I also feel that I should make an example of myself and give encouragement".

Bobby Au Yeung Talks About the Trickiest Onscreen Female Partners, 'Do Not Restrict Yourself Because of Money'

'The File of Justice''s Amy Chan

"I also really like partnering up with Amy Chan. At the time, basically had to break the iceberg. From my recollection, she was the first person I filmed a kiss scene with. Previously with the group of Jaime Chik and Carina Lau, how would I dare to? Amy is a vegetarian, while I eat meat. I thought about whether I would pass some 'meaty air' to her; would she throw up? But she was very gracious. Would frankly and sincerely say how she wanted to do it. Well, certainly, I would not be careless. Would not French kiss. Would finish kissing with a slight touch and immediately feel a sense of relief. A lot of the time, the character 'Yu Choi Chun' does things forcefully; that is why Amy gives in. There was a scene where she and I were both wearing thin-fabric sleepwear. Would have felt sorry for the two of us to be in close contact, so I suggested using a blanket to wrap myself first like a rice noodle roll. Was then able to move however [we] wanted and did not have to feel awkward. I just have thick skin; it does not mean that I am not scared of feeling awkward!"

'A Recipe for the Heart''s Esther Kwan

"Felt like an animal trainer. All the tricky people were given to me. Back then, no one dared to get close to Esther Kwan. Her aura is very incredible. Our first collaboration was filming 'Taming of the Princess'. I was also like a silly guy who would say whatever nonsense. Would always be scared of saying the wrong thing. After saying something, saw that she did not have a reaction. Once she glanced at me, I knew that I was in trouble. However, the chemistry when filming with her is very good. There were many parts that did not require discussion and were done on the fly. Remember that we even won the 'Most Humourous Pair Award' for 'A Recipe for the Heart'. In the series, I play 'Tin Mei Kat' who has a head of hair and a beard. Had to kiss while hugging her on the beach. The camera had to surround us and turn 360 degrees. My and her lips had to be stuck together the entire time, but she told me to talk because it would look convincing with the lips moving from talking. Could only use ventriloquism to talk then".

Partnering Joey Meng for New Series at the End of the Year

In recent years, the number of Bobby's series has obviously been reduced, with an emphasis on quality over quantity and the script being the main consideration. Certainly, his partner is also a key point. When asked whether he wanted to take care of his health, Bobby said that he has already recovered from suddenly becoming ill previously: "Don't want to accept series too close together. Have been acting for so many years...really cannot film that much. Cannot always just be seeing me only. For me to attract viewers again, the room for improvement is not much. In addition, at this age, the characters I play have to be more professional...cannot romance again. Cannot still be acting those scenes of pursuing Amy in 'File'. The actresses at my age are either married or retired; only the 'beautiful witch' Joey Meng can do it". Bobby said that, in "Lo", he saw someone who resembled Joey. He said, "In 'Lo', 'Trash Ching' (played by Phoebe Chow) really resembles Joey; they are exactly the same. Not considered the greatest resemblance in terms of the face, but her movements and the shape of her mouth when she speaks are the same. I told her that there was no need to be afraid; Joey leaves after returning to film just one series. There is no need to be afraid of competition; 'Trash Ching' is definitely Joey's successor! As for me, she and I are acting in the same series; 'Trash Ching' could play her younger self, while I could find James [Ng] to play my younger self! Ha ha ha!"

When asked, if there were the addition of a kiss scene with 'Kwan Jeh', would he accept it? Bobby said, "I am an actor; what am I scared of? At most, I would explain it to my wife, but 'Kwan Jeh' has children and grandchildren; she has to explain to a lot of people! 'Kwan Jeh' should get mentally prepared; the next series may have it! If these two episodes of 'Lo' in which I cameo in get 40 points, maybe the new series would immediately switch out Joey and change it to 'Kwan Jeh'!"

The ratings of "Lo" have been on a long-term high...even more incredible than the series in the two prime time slots. Many people think that this is due to the drop in the quality of Hong Kong series, but Bobby does not agree; he said, "We have not become worse. I have always watched HK series because it is very convenient. Can see it once you turn on the TV. Of course, it would certainly vary for series, but there are actually many series with very high ratings in recent years. No one talks about the foreign series that are not good. Everyone just doesn't know; also have some, so [you] cannot make a generalization". Being called the 'Ratings Lucky Star', Bobby does not think that there is pressure because this is not an award, and there is also no one fighting with him for this position. He laughingly said, "Calling me a 'housewife killer' is simply degrading me. Obviously, I have supporters in males, females, old, and young".

'Do Not Have to Go to the Fullest When Making Money'

In recent years, TVB actors from the same period as Bobby have been going up north because Mainland has many opportunities, and there is generous treatment, which has made Hong Kong actors with true ability rare, while Bobby has continued to insist on staying in Hong Kong to film HK series. He expressed, "In life, don't necessarily have to talk about money. Being able to eat until I get full and not having to starve will do. If there is free time, then do something meaningful, like cameoing in "Lo" this time. After doing it, everyone is happy. I don't want to always do conventional things. Everyone says that you should match up with Joey, but I am returning to match up with 'Kwan Jeh'; the field of vision immediately became very vast. 'Kwan Jeh' is happy, and I am also happy! Now, the direction of my work is also the same. The money is less, but already good to film happily. It would be the best if the lineup can have fun together. No need to be so stubborn about a lot of things; do not restrict yourself. Just want to spend happy money when making money. Even if I go up north for work, would also come back. This is my home. Cannot make all the money. Do not have to go to the fullest all the time when making money".

Bobby is a TV fan. He chased after "The Defected" and even watched "Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber". He expressed that he really wants to collaborate with Kara Hui. The two met in the '80s, but the chances of collaboration are few. He thinks that the character 'Madam Man' in the series can only be handled by Kara in all of Hong Kong; there is no other choice. [He] hopes to be able to collaborate in the future and learn from her. Bobby, who is 59 years old this year, has never thought about leaving the screen, and there are also no plans about when he would be retiring. He said, "Previously, someone asked me to play Bosco Wong's dad. Woah, wouldn't it be awful after filming it? Would definitely have to be a Dad for every script. If I play it, then what would the generation of Law Lok Lam play? I don't want to. Let me play for a few more years. In the end, I played his elder brother in 'Dicey Business'!" He expressed that actors are able to act their entire lives; there is no retirement age. Filming is labourious but very fun. He said, "As long as I have my memory, energy, and physical strength, then I can continue to film! Look at Zhang Sanfeng in 'Heavenly'. I can see that he has a lot of spirit in his eyes. In the series, his martial arts is the best. He was able to perform the essential character. I looked it up online; his name is actually Wang Deshun, and he is the oldest model in the entire world. The first time walking a runway was 70 or 80 years old. Thus, previously, there was a Mainland fan who said that he or she had to go to the US to study and was scared that he or she would not be able to see me a few years later. I said that it is not that early for me. Can see [me] for a while".

*Credits to skypost

No comments:

Post a Comment